Coalition partners include: Mass Peace Action, 350 Mass, Traprock Center for Peace and Justice, Center for Nonviolent Solutions, NuclearBan.US, New England Peace Pagoda, Better Future Project, Nuclear Free Future Coalition, First Churches Peace & Justice Northampton, Western Mass CodePink, Watertown Citizens for Peace, Justice and the Environment, Haydenville Congregational Church, Peace and Justice Steering Committee
A coalition of organizations in Massachusetts who want to work together to address the twin existential threats of climate change and nuclear war at one and the same time. The coalition’s full demand is that the US and the other 8 nuclear armed nations eliminate their nuclear weapons, based on the UN Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, and use those human and financial resources to seriously address the climate crisis. In Massachusetts, the coalition works to bring awareness to these two joint issues of climate and nuclear weapons and influence broader action for this cause.
The Citizens Commission
Our state legislation, H. 738 and S.1488, calling for the creation of a Citizens Nuclear Weapons and Climate Commission in Massachusetts. This commission, appointed by state officials with recommendations from statewide peace and climate organizations, would investigate and advise on the state’s involvement and investment in nuclear weapons, and the transition of these resources to green technologies necessary for addressing the climate crisis.
- Sen. Joanne Comerford (D – Hampshire, Franklin and Worcester)
- Rep. Lindsay Sabadosa (D – 1st Hampshire)
- Rep. Jack Patrick Lewis (D – 7th Middlesex)
- Rep. Erika Uyterhoeven (D – 27th Middlesex)
- Rep. Natalie Higgins (D – 4th Worcester)
- Rep. David Henry Argosky LeBoeuf (D – 17th Worcester)
- Rep. Patrick Joseph Kearney (D – 4th Plymouth)
- Rep. Tommy Vitolo (D – 15th Norfolk)
- Rep. Ruth Balser (D – 12th Middlesex)
- Rep. Simon Cataldo (D – 14th Middlesex)
- Rep. Samantha Montaño (D – 15th Suffolk)
- Rep. James Arena-DeRosa (D – 8th Middlesex)
- Rep. Mike Connolly (D – 26th Middlesex)
Write to your Representatives
Please write to your State Rep and urge them to support the Citizens Commission on Nuclear Weapons and Climate Change bill, H.738. This bill would set up a commission to look at how Massachusetts can make the transition away from nuclear weapons and toward more of the green technologies needed to address the climate crisis.